"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Sunday, August 23, 2015

Young Voices: Part 2

Here’s the follow up to my last blog about 6th grader Cody Wilson, the thoughtful, original and witty writer I’ve been working with since he was in second grade.  


At first we started writing comic books that he also illustrated – action adventure stories with elaborate battle strategies.  As Cody developed his skills, depending on the mood of the day, we alternated between exploring what makes a story a story and the fundamental yet not so fundamental variety of ways to use the tools of writing such as image, sentence structure, and figurative language.  Along the way we discussed what he was reading and practiced levels of interrogation of that material.  Each writing session involves combining recent experiences with a focus on a theme and a prompt. 

I’m so excited for his first publication, a one page spread in our very own Moonshine Ink!



No comments: